The NHS Sight Test is the basic test available to eligible NHS patients. The NHS stipulates the minimum standards and tests that should be included.
If you are entitled to the NHS Sight Test, you can still access the additional benefits included in our Private Enhanced Eye Examination for a small professional fee (please ask for details when booking). Our optometrists would always recommend this.
To find out more about NHS Sight Tests please click here
Regular eye examinations ensure that you have the best vision possible. They also give reassurance about your eye health.
Our Enhanced Eye Health Examinations is a comprehensive evaluation of your ocular health lasting approximately 45 minutes.
The Enhanced Eye Health Examination includes
- History and symptom assessment
- refraction – assessment of your prescription
- External eye examination by slit lamp biomicroscopy
- Internal eye examination by indirect slit lamp biomicroscopy
- Intraocular pressure assement by ICare or Goldmann tonometry
- Suprathreshold visual field testing
- Topcon Maestro Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) scanning
- Optomap Ultrawide field Retinal Imaging
- Anterior Eye OCT assessment where indicated
- Discussion of our findings and recommendations
- Referral for further investigations if deemed necessary
- Ocular health and nutrition advice
If you are entitled to the NHS Sight Test, you can still have the additional beneﬁts included in our Enhanced Eye Health Examination for a small additional fee ( please ask for details when booking). Our optometrists would always recommend this.
To find out more about Enhanced Eye Health Examinations please click here
The scans can be compared to a cake. When we look into the eye, we normally see icing on the cake – the retinal surface. With OCT we can take a slice out of the cake to see all the different layers that make up the retina, focus on a certain sections and pinpoint any unhealthy changes or abnormalities.
We recommend that every patient has an initial baseline OCT scan at the least. An OCT scan is particularly useful for any patients who have concerns of Glaucoma and Macular Degeneration .
OCT scanning is included within our Enhanced Eye Health Examination fee is available as an upgrade for NHS funded patients.
This screening is important to detect early changes to the retina caused by diabetes. These changes have no visual symptoms and can only be treated if detected early.